Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"infield fly" rule

Okay, so your sheriff almost got stumped twice last week.  Once by people with shinier badges after I left the bar, and once when asked about the "infield fly" rule.  The former, I'm not going into details about (buy me a shot and a beer and I'll tell you the story).  The latter, I gave a ruling on based on what I thought was something on the WAKA Rules FAQ.  Turns out, there's nothing on the FAQ about the "infield fly" rule, but I knew I had seen precedence somewhere.  So this ruling is actually thanks to Tim Gitchel - Rules Sheriff for WAKA TX Liberty league Winter 2011.

The short story is that there is NOT an "infield fly" rule in WAKA, but it is considered douchey, lame, weak (pick your favorite derogative) to intentionally drop a ball you should catch.

For the long story, Tim's original write-up (including a definition of the baseball "infield fly" rule and the precedent from the WAKA national championships in Vegas) can be found at http://www.kickball.com/files/league/184622/winter_2011_week_4_gmot_pdf_13621.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment